Keeping ourselves engaged and mentally stimulated is very important for our overall well being. It is specially important to consciously make an effort towards this as we age.
We at the Samvedna Senior Care Foundation conduct workshops and outings throughout the year to promote healthy and active aging. We get experts in their fields to conduct these workshops. In 2016 we organized over 40 workshops for close to 1000 senior citizens. Our workshops include -
- Technology training - Introduction to computers, learning smart-phones, Facebook for seniors, Internet banking.
- Emotional well-being - Intergenerational bonding, retirement, stress management, positive thinking.
- Health and fitness - Strength training, yoga, naturopathy, nutrition, doctors talks on heart health, diabetes, joint pain, cancer, sleep etc,
- Recreation - Dance, Music (vocal), Ikebana, quizzing, parties and celebrations for Diwali, Christmas and New Years.
- Outings - Movies, plays, Akshardhaam, Humayun's Tomb, picnics, Rashtrapati Bhavan, Rail Museum etc.
Some events we organize on a yearly basis are Alzheimer's Awareness (around Alzheimer's Day) and a programme for Elder's Day (1st October).
Learning computers at Samvedna Senior Care Activity Centre has been an exhilarating experience for both me and my wife. There are many activities here - you can learn computers, play table tennis, do gym excersizes, play scrabble, and read books from the small library they have. The best part is the staff managing the centre. Each one of them is assertive, very active and ready to help. With that they create a congenial atmosphere where we senior citizens feel at home. I would give all the credit to the founder Archana, who with her maturity has been able to groom the staff. I would change the name of the centre to Senior Citizens Smiling Centre!
- BRIGADIER BHUTANI,
RETIRED FROM INDIAN ARMY
The session for use of smartphones with various aspects (i.e whatsapp, group formation, broadcasting, online transaction) was very useful, informative and educative for the senior citizens. It is highly recommended that such sessions may be conducted in future.
- Dr. R.C Sharma, Senior Citizen, Gulmohar Park (Smartphone workshop)
It was an excellent presentation by Samvedna. Digital trainers clarified many of our doubts with lots of patience. Thanks from all our senior citizens.
- S L Watwani, Senior Citizen, Safdarjung Enclave (Smartphone workshop)